Friday, June 25, 2010

Visual Studio 2010 crashing after unlocking windows XP

Good features come from Microsoft with plenty of bugs around. I am enjoying the powerfulness of Visual studio 2010 with VB.NET 10. Lots of new features have been added in VB.NET 10 (read my article http://aspnettechstuffs.blogspot.com/2010/06/cool-vbnet-10-features.html ) and VS 2010 beautifully runs on top of them. I was living in a wonderful shell until one day I found VS 2010 started crashing everytime I unlock my windows XP machine. This gave me lots of trouble since everytime VS crashed it did not save any of my modified document and recovery options too did not be of too help everytime.
I checked my event log and found following errors logged

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestPackage, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.4927 - Fatal Execution Engine Error 


Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.20506.1,


I could not reproduce the issue so far after disabling my hardware acceleration of my computer. Hope it may help you as well. If that does not work, you can also try to look into your VS 2010 Tools -> Options -> General -> Visual Experience and disable the hardware acceleration if it is enabled there.

you can disable hardware accelartion of windows as following

1 comment: